Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Review: Tiger's Curse by Colleen Houck

Title:  Tiger's Curse (The Tiger Saga #1)
Author:  Colleen Houck
Publisher:  Sterling (January 11, 2011)
Genre:  Young Adult
Amazon
Goodreads

Passion. Fate. Loyalty.

Would you risk it all to change your destiny?

The last thing Kelsey Hayes thought she’d be doing this summer was trying to break a 300-year-old Indian curse. With a mysterious white tiger named Ren. Halfway around the world. But that’s exactly what happened. Face-to-face with dark forces, spellbinding magic, and mystical worlds where nothing is what it seems, Kelsey risks everything to piece together an ancient prophecy that could break the curse forever.


*****************

Tiger’s Curse is the exciting first volume in an epic fantasy-romance that will leave you breathless and yearning for more.

I'll start by saying that this book is exciting.  It is full of fun and adventure.  The book at its core is about a quest, which I loved.  It has an Indiana Jones kind of vibe.

Lets start with the plot.  The plot is very fast paced.  Needless to say the book never left me feeling bored.  I enjoyed how it is a paranormal romance but it is a completely original concept.  Yes it does have a werewolf feel to it, but with a twist.  I absolutely loved all of the mythology wrapped around this whole story.  For those of you who don't know me I am a mythology nut(mostly Roman and Greek), but it was nice to get to know another cultures myths.  The author did an amazing job with researching India and really allowing the reader to feel like you are actually apart of their amazing culture.  She went into detail about their clothes, buildings, and their history.  This is the first book I have ever read about India.  I wish more authors would write more about other countries myths.  BRAVO Colleen.

As for the romance I thought it was sweet.  Ren is an absolute gentleman, I mean he is a prince from a different time.  The romance between Ren and Kelsey is both charming and frustrating.  I can understand the frustrating part of things because they belong to different time periods, but my god did I want to pull my hair out at times.  The charming parts were mostly from Ren's stand point.  He just oozes charm.  I kept finding myself saying aww on more than one occasion, while rolling my eyes thinking seriously for others.  As for Kelsey, she is not one of my favorite female leads.  She is a little flaky, not very strong, and she tends to sound robotic at times(even when she is thinking to herself). Once again there is another love triangle.  Love triangles are starting to drive me nuts.  It is just an easy way for the author to create conflict.

Overall I still really enjoyed this book.  It took me awhile to pick up another book because I couldn't stop thinking about this one.  I absolutely loved the creativety, and how completely off the beaten path this author went.  This is a series I will proudly display on my bookshelf.

Rating:  4.5 out of 5

“What is real and what is not is for your heart to decide and for your heart to know.”
- Colleen Houch, Tiger's Curse

No comments:

Post a Comment