Tuesday, September 17, 2013

It's a "book" life

Ok lets get this ball rolling.  For those of you who don't know me, I'm Heather.  I have been an avid
reader for many many years.  It took me awhile to get like that though.  I used to hate reading.  It was a chore to me when I was a child, and I had trouble reading all throughout elementary school.  But needless to say "Hooked on Phonics works for me".  No seriously, I used hooked on phonics, as depressing as it is(and embarrassing to admit), but it worked.

I got more into books when I was in middle school.  It all started with Goosebumps and Fear Street By R. L. Stein.  Eventually I got into the larger books.  The series that really got me started and helped me discover my love for reading is Harry Potter.  I didn't know at the time what my favorite genre of books was *cough cough fantasy*.   I was always stuck waiting, more then reading, for my favorite authors to publish new books or the next book in their on going series.  That was probably the worst thing I could have done.

Today I am more open to trying many different books, and genres.  Working at Barnes and Noble has probably helped me broaden my horizons, as well as, my best friend Nichole.  She and I for years has had our own little tiny book club.  It is literally just the two of us, but it works.  She and I have the same taste in books, and are constintly introducing eachother to new series and authors. 

I am also a part of this great website called Goodreads.  Get this...it is completely FREE to sign up!!!!  How awesome is that!!!! It allows me to see what some of my friends are reading, and to follow all of my favorite authors.  You would be surprised how many authors are on there.  You can see if they post anything in their blogs, as well as, any books that are still waiting to be written.  A lot of the authors are ALWAYS doing giveaways(ie...kindles, nooks, swag, etc...).  One of my favorite things about this site is that you can set a yearly goal for yourself.  I have done it the past two years and I have blown my goals out of the water. 

Well thats my "book" life in a nut shell.  I hope this blog inspires you to get out there, read books, and find that ONE book that changes everything.

"The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go."
-Dr. Suess, "I Can Read With My Eye's Shut"

1 comment: